Monday, August 10, 2009

A Pupa - Supa Dupa!!!

You'll really only get the title of this post if you have small children that habitually watch the "Wonder Pets". There's one episode where "The Wonder Pets Save the Caterpillar"...and they sing a little ditty about how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly..... and for reasons that escape me I've decided that I should post the lyrics here:


They start as a caterpillar...A caterpillar?!....A caterpillar!
They start as a caterpillar...Fa la la, hey!
They grow a real snug pupa...A pupa? Supa-dupa!
They grow a real snug pupa...Fa la la, hey!
They come out as a butterfly...A butterfly? Oh me, oh my!
They come out as a butterfly...Fa la la hey!


So - now that this is all cleared up I'll move on with my regular post. I am in the process of becoming a social butterfly. I was in the caterpilar stage and am now in my snug little pupa! In my previous post I talked about needing to make some friends here in Texas. I was talking to my best friend Kate about this last week....she recently moved to Oregon and is in the same predicament.


It's amazing how easily you lose your friend-making skills as you get older. In high school and college it's almost too easy to meet people. You're young and thrown into a similar life situation with other people that are looking to make friends and you just seem to bond with people so much more easily. Then as you get older and have long time friends you just get used to having those people in your life and the need for new friends is gone. We are now both in the situation of needing to make new friends. At this point we recognize that we're just going to have to get out there and introduce ourselves. I feel like a nerd..."Will you please be my friend???" but that's really what it comes down to.

Over the past few days we have tenatively gotten to know the neighbors that live caddy corner from us. They are our age and have a little girl who will turn 3 in November really close to Emma and Katy's birthdays. This past weekend I put myself out there and invited them over for dinner Saturday night. Well, it's not a huge shocker that we had a great time. The girls loved playing together and it was really nice to have a pleasant evening with another family who seems to share many of the same ideals and values that we do. They've been married about as long as Robby and I have. Their little girl was an absolute doll. They are somewhat new to the area as well and don't know many people here. So, hopefully this is a first step towards having some great friends here in our new home.

With that first step behind me I am looking forward to how I can branch out even further. Now that I'm remembering those long lost friend-making skills I think I can really make some good progress in this area of my life. Sometimes I think I forget that I am a social and likeable person and that I needn't put so much pressure on myself that people are going to think I'm some kind of weirdo or something and want nothing to do with me. Now that I type that out it really sounds rather dramatic and I sit here wondering what the heck is wrong with me?!

So I can't say that I'm a full fledged butterfly at this point...but I'm in the pupa stage and the metamorphosis is occuring. Maybe there should be an episode called "The Wonder Pets Save the Relocated Mommy!" I wonder what my theme song would be?

1 comment:

apinsky said...

I'm so happy that you're putting yourself out there and making friends! Even mommies need a few girls nights out!! Can't wait to see the Seeds pack in a few weeks!