Monday, August 3, 2009

5 Months and 15 Days.....

Well, it's been 5 months and 15 days since my last blog entry - saying that this is just sad is so much a gross understatement that it's really quite funny. After numerous friend requests to begin blogging again I have finally been inspired by three separate people/groups to start up again: my husband, my friends, my oldest child.

First - my husband: For the record, I am married to the best man on the planet. There is nothing to compare to him and all that he is. A few weeks ago while he was mowing the lawn he got a really bad blister on one of his fingers from trying repeatedly to start the trimmer. Emma saw his "owie" and decided that a band-aid would solve the problem immediately. All of life's hurts can be cured with a band-aid according to Emma - we should buy stock for all the boxes of band-aids we go through. We were in the kitchen making dinner and I asked how his blister was healing at which time he said "it's fine, Emma gave me a band-aid", and there on his finger was a purple, Dora the Explorer band-aid. How can you not love a man who would proudly wear the band-aid that his little girl had given him all day at work for everyone to see. I know it's simple and of no huge importance to anyone else - but to me it was just another small but profound example of what an awesome daddy that Robby is.

Second - my friends: Really this should be about my lack of friends - at least in Texas. Two weekends ago I went to Indianapolis for the bachelorette party of my high school best friend. I am fortunate enough to be her Matron of Honor - so I was in charge of hosting the event. To be honest I didn't know quite what to expect of the weekend. I had never met any of her friends in Indy and I was going to be the odd woman out. It has been a very long time since I've been out with a group of girls - especially to a bar. I see now that I needn't have worried one bit! Every one of the girls was absolutely delightful - I had the best time!!! We went to this dueling piano bar called Howl at the Moon - SOOO much fun!!! I was able to see IU where the girls all went to college - what an amazingly beautiful campus. I learned how to play "Sink The Biz". But more than anything I enjoyed some quality girl time and laughed ALOT!

What it really showed me though is that I really need to make a more concerted effort to make friends out here. While I am always more than happy to hang out with my family, having girlfriends that are the same age and in the same place of life is really important. No one can ever replace my best friends (you know who you are :-) ) , but it's an important part of me making Texas my true home for me to have friends that I can hang out with on a regular basis.

Finally - my oldest child (Emma): Last night I was reading a bedtime book to Emma. It was a new book that we had picked up over the weekend. Robby had read it to her the previous night - and last night was my turn. The book was called "Priscilla - Superstar" and it's about a little girl that goes to see a "Rollerina" show (think ballet on roller skates) and then wants to become a Rollerina Princess herself. Well, it was the part in the book where Priscilla is at the Rollerina show; here is the dialogue that follows:

Emma: pointing to a picture of the rollerina princess dancing - "Look Mommy - this is where she pees.!"

Mommy: "PEES??!! What are you talking about??!!" (At this point I'm wondering just what kind of book has been purchased here.)

Emma: "Yep - see she's peeing."

Mommy: "Emma - she's dancing, not peeing."

Emma: "No Mommy, she's peeing, see..."

Mommy: "Emma - where in this situation do you see that she's peeing???"

Emma: (with an exasperated sigh) "Mommy! She's peeing, daddy told me last night, that's the situation."

At this point I read the lines below the picture and sure enough there is a mention of pee. Apparently "peed" is the word that rhymed with the previous line - but it says "Priscilla was so excited that she nearly peed." I then explain to Emma that the dancer is not peeing - it's that Priscilla was so excited that she almost peed - that no one actually peed. This worked for her.

So with that issue all cleared up I'm left to wonder: WHO IN THE HELL PUTS THE WORD "PEED" INTO A CHILDREN'S BOOK??? I mean I can understand if the book is about using the potty - but SERIOUSLY, COME ON!!!!

No comments: